The Shack - William P. Young  

Sunday, November 23, 2008




As most of you know, I've been putting off this read for quite some time just because I truly feel that it is extremely arrogant that any author believe they can express the thoughts of God or Jesus, directly from the lips of God. I finally picked it up out of sheer boredom, and let me say that it left a bad taste in my mouth! I swear people don't have a mind of their own anymore! Oprah says that it's a great book and then her cronies all think it's a great book without even giving much thought to the jibberish they just read! Ok ranting aside, as far as the fictional aspect of this book goes it was definitely sad and tugged at the heartstrings. The writing started out rough with a lot of awkward sentences and some amateur-ish style, but by Chapter 4 things seemed to smooth out. The problem I personally had as a Christian was with the theological aspect. The author makes it impossible to separate the two here, but I'm as open-minded as they come, right? Sure. Moving on...without giving too much away...there are some gross (not the kind of pickled herring gross!) contradictions in this book that I can only describe as Universalist Unitarianism mystical philosophy. I'll give on God possibly being female, but since when does God not punish or hold you accountable for your sins (page 119-120)?!

"He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." (John 3:36)

Or how about where God is said to be the same as the Great Spirit from some Indian folktale (page 31)?

"For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works." (II Corinthians 11:13-15)

Now I'm no expert in the Bible, but I do know enough to see the contradictions to it. Now if Young meant for the contradictions in his book to lead people to pick up the Bible and study it more, kudos to him! I highly doubt that was his intent though. Moving on..."Jesus was not meant to copy. He is not our example." (Pg 149) Really? Since when? And what of these passages from the Bible?

"Imitate me(Paul), just as I also imitate Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1)

"14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." (John 13:14-15)

"A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher." (Luke 6:40)


Ok enough spoilers and I'm sure I've given you enough info to see where I'm coming from. If I, as a fairly non-practicing Christian realize that there is something seriously wrong with Young's version of God and the Trinity, then how is it that so many so-called Christians are raving about this piece of work?! Seems to me that there are many church-going Christians that need to dust off their Bible some before wasting any of their time reading something like this. People warn voters and consumers to make informed decisions all the time before casting a vote. The Christians that are raving about this book seriously need to be better informed on the Bible!

The Shack-Paperback
The Shack-Kindle Edition

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Post a Comment

Blog Stats

Mimi's Bucket List (c) 2008